The gospel is…the word about Jesus Christ and what he did for us in order to restore us to a right relationship with God. – Graeme Goldsworthy

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Forgotten Field of Evangelism


For several months now, before I preach, I invite the children of new3c up to the front of the church, and I pray for them. It’s become one of the treasured moments for our congregation each Lord’s Day. I pray that the Lord would open our kids’ hearts to the gospel, that they would treasure Jesus more than anything in this world, that the Holy Spirit would empower our faithful Sunday school teachers to preach the gospel, and that God would raise our children up to lead the Church and nation in the future. Recently while I was praying for them, it was hard to hold back my emotions. In that moment, God was reminding me how He’d graciously caused me to fear Him and love Christ while in church as a young boy. It hit me – where I stood that day as a pastor was profoundly influenced by what the Lord did in my heart as a child.

When we pray for the conversion of unsaved individuals, it’s often for the adults in our lives that we know – and so we should. But I think we’ve forgotten to value, pray for, and labor in a field of evangelism that’s right under our noses – both in our homes and in the local church – that of our children.

To encourage you in this mindset, I plan to share this week a story from the childhood of a significant individual from Church history. Follow Gripped by the Gospel to read more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment