The gospel is…the word about Jesus Christ and what he did for us in order to restore us to a right relationship with God. – Graeme Goldsworthy

Saturday, October 29, 2011

An Apologetic for Christian Hip Hop & Rap

There's been a particular genre of music in my life that's been extremely encouraging, edifying, and enjoyable for the last year and a half that I'd like to begin sharing with you every so often. It's Christian hip hop & rap. I know, I know. Some of you may respond, "What?! How can it be called 'Christian'?"

Here's my apologetic for it. I believe these brothers (and sisters) in the Lord are imaging the incarnate Christ in what they are doing. Although God created everything that exists to reflect His character and nature, our first parents brought ruin, rebellion, and chaos to it by their sin. But God did not leave his creation helpless in this state. He brought redemption to it through the seed of the woman (Gen. 3.15), the seed of Abraham (Gal. 3.16). God's Son left the culture of heaven, incarnating in the "stuff" of creation, and came to a culture (this planet) that was fallen and in rebellion. Through His perfect life, substitutionary death, and glorious resurrection, He inaugurated a new age and offers redemption to His creatures. All who believe in Who He was and what He did are guaranteed eternal life (John 3.16) and reconciliation with the Father of creation (John 14.6); this is the gospel.

As agents of reconciliation, our brothers in Christian hip hop/rap are "incarnating" the message of the gospel to a culture enslaved in depravity (e.g., sex, greed, crime, murder, and rebellion), and they are seeing those in darkness come to the light of Christ. Not only this, they are catechizing a new generation of believers in the truths of deep, rich biblical theology. Some call it lyrical preaching/theology. It's pointed me to Christ in beautiful ways. And it's enjoyable.

So, today, let me introduce to you two videos for your edification. If you're still skeptical, I would like to strongly suggest you watch the following testimony of my favorite artist, Lecrae. I found it on reach records.com, and it led me to another great movement that I'm excited about called I AM SECOND. (I would highly recommend you peruse iamsecond.com and listen to the videos of some well-known individuals. You will be touched and greatly edified.) Here it is.
Powerful, isn't it? Even if you never enjoy or come to appreciate the music of brothers like Lecrae, no one can argue with the testimony of a man changed by the gospel.

Now for some fun. The following video is by one of Lecrae's friends. His artistic name is Flame. He currently attends the seminary I graduated from - The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. If you don't think Christians should dance, minimize the screen and listen to the words of this song. (Or click on another YouTube version of it with lyrics.) I've been jammin' to it for a couple weeks now. It's fly!
Soli Deo Gloria. Have a great weekend. Be gripped by the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment