The gospel is…the word about Jesus Christ and what he did for us in order to restore us to a right relationship with God. – Graeme Goldsworthy

Friday, February 10, 2012

So, what's the problem?


I read the following recently. O, that we would all remember the truth of it in our daily lives! Don’t think of who needs to hear it – for that defeats the purpose of it! – but simply read it and acknowledge your own depravity. The gospel is not good news until the reality of our personal sinfulness is grasped in the depths of our heart.

Apart from the new birth, I am my main problem. You are not my main problem. My parents were not my main problem. My enemies are not my main problem. I am my main problem. Not my deeds, and not my circumstances, and not the people in my life, but my nature is my deepest problem…My nature is selfish and self-centered and demanding and very skilled in making you feel like the problem. And if your first response is to that statement is I know people like that, you may be totally blind to the deceitfulness of your own heart. Our first response should not be finger-pointing. That's part of the problem. Our first response should be contrition. – John Piper, Finally Alive (49), author’s emphasis

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. My sin debilitates me more than I care to admit or acknowledge. Thanks be to God, Jesus Christ has overcome even ME!

    ReplyDelete