The gospel is…the word about Jesus Christ and what he did for us in order to restore us to a right relationship with God. – Graeme Goldsworthy

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Anxiety and the Gospel


Is anxiety a constant struggle for you? I've confessed to my congregation that it's one of my "besetting sins" that I continually seek to battle with the truth of the gospel. In 2011, I saw some encouraging breakthroughs, though I still have more ground to reclaim in 2012 for the flag of the emperor of the universe, the emperor of my heart - Jesus Christ.

Do you worry about dying? The gospel proclaims that Jesus has conquered death (I Cor. 15.54-57), and announces freedom from the fear of it to all who believe its message (Heb. 2.14-15). Is your anxiety rooted in personal or relational insecurities? The gospel says that nothing in the universe can come between you and the eternal love that God has demonstrated toward you in Christ (Rom. 8.38-39). Are you fearful of that "unknown tragedy" coming down the road straight towards your life, family, or finances? Tell such fear that if and when it comes that you have a loving heavenly Father who intends for such tragedy to display His glory in the gospel and benefit your eternal welfare (Rom. 8.28). Are you up at night worrying about losing your wealth or not earning enough to sustain a living? Preach to your heart that those who believe the gospel will never go without life's necessities (Matt. 6.25-34).


"Do you know where constant worry comes from? It’s rooted in an arrogance that assumes, I know the way my life has to go, and God’s not getting it right. Real humility means to relax. Real humility means to laugh at yourself. Real humility means to be self-critical. The cross brings that kind of humility into our lives." - Tim Keller, King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus (pp. 145-146)

1 comment:

  1. So critical to get this truth. Lord, let it become more than a cognitive excercise, let it course through my veins.

    ReplyDelete